Saturday, April 28, 2012

Steffen 8'3" 5/6 wt.



I'm very excited to show my fourth Steffen fiberglass fly rod project built for a client. It features the first of my exclusive design slide band reel seats with black nickel hardware (classic flared ends) and a highly figured walnut wood insert. Joel Lemke was very kind to put his over thirty years of knowledge and my design ideas into making these beautiful reel seats for me. Pretty neat thing that this was possible in order to bring a unique look to my custom builds. On this rod I skipped the winding check for a more a neat and classy thread over cork wrap. The chestnut silk wraps turned considerably darker after receiving the epoxy and show a great contrast with the blank. The red tippings add a bit of color to the rod, signature wraps at the inscription, epoxy "rippled" and my handwriting add a truly unique touch to this special rod. I very much like myself this 5/6 wt. Steffen rod, has great feel and backbone. Being a casting fanatic I couldn't help myself not to test cast this rod before the last coat was applied. I loaded this thing with a Triangle Taper orange line and man it can cast! Throws beautiful loops, roll casts insanely and makes soft presentations at all distances. It's on my needs list allready. I hope my client would love it too. Stay posted for more Steffen builds this season and hope you like this one! Thanks.
 
 


1 comment:

George said...

Message from Mr.Peter Refstrup Mulbjerg, the rod's owner: "One of my favourite persons in the world is Mr. VeryNiceGuy aka our local postmann. And he didnt let me down when he arrived today with a package from far away. Romania to be precise. That package contained what I think I can safely say is one of the most beautifull rods I have ever seen - my new Steffen 8'3" # 5/6, build by one of the most talented rod builders our planet has to offer.
Thanks George, for putting your time and effort in this rod. It is FLAWLESS!
I'll take good care of it ;-)"

Thank you Peter for the very kind words!