Monday, January 21, 2013

Sage Z-Axis 596-4

This is the type of project you'll probably wonder why I'll never do again..
A good friend of mine asked me if I would rebuild his favorite five weight that was previously build by somebody else. 
The guides used weared out and ended up with some broken fingernails after stripping everything off  (guides and original wraps and inscription wich were quite big). 
Cleaned up the handle and gave it a new shape. Overall, I think it came out great and that it looks pretty sharp. 
I'm very happy with the result although I have to admit I never really believed it will came out like this. This rod had some serious wear and tear but I'm glad it's now "back in shape".
Thank you all for looking at my work!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Jay said...

Hi George,

Although I'm not a fan of cork and wood grips (German rods are often made with wooden grip tops, euch!), your restoration turned out pretty good.
I like grips that are about 6 inch long. Too long grips on rods up to 6 weight look a bit misbalanced.

I said it before, I don't like the labeling Sage does on their blanks (Sage XP 590-B for example)

George said...

Hi Jay,
Actually this grip is 6.5" long. The T.F.M. rod above has a 6" long grip. I preffer them shorter too. The grip on this Z is made of burl cork dyed red and the finest cork that was available back when the rod was first built by a friend of mine. I did not want to remove the original grip because of this. I can't find cork like this anymore and decided to just give it a slight new look. Thanks for stopping by!